Thursday, September 20, 2012

5 Things I Loved About Spain

After one of the best meals of my life at Casa Lucio
I'm back from a 2-week vacation in Spain, and wanted to share some of my reflections before it all fades away into the routine of everyday life.

Walking

The hubs and I spend about four days in Madrid and 10 in Barcelona. During that time, we walked at least 6 miles a day around the city.  Sooooo much better than sitting in front of a computer all day. Why does modern life involve so much sitting!

Real food

I don't think we ate any processed food in Spain. Even though I ate way more animal products, and pastries (: than I would at home, I felt great.

Sunshine

I know we're all worried about skin cancer, but geesh does daily sunshine feel good.

Time

I don't remember the last time I had a two-week vacation, but wow is it different than a weekend away.  It was wonderful to have such an extended break, and to be able to spend so much time with the hubs. Highly recommend.

Art and Beauty

The highlight of Madrid for me was going to The Prado.  I usually get a bit weary after being in a museum for a couple hours, but when we left The Prado, I was energized and inspired. My two favorite paintings were The Three Graces by Rubens and Amalia de Llano y Dotres, condesa de Vilches by Federico de Madrazo.

In Barcelona, we toured through Gaudi's Casa Milà/La Pedrera with its amazing roof, strolled through his whimsical Parc Güell, and walked around the outside of La Sagrada Familia (the ticket line was a zoo, so we didn't go inside). I particularly enjoyed the exhibit case in La Pedrera that showed examples of shapes in nature (e.g. the spirals in shells) that inspired Gaudi's designs.

We also went to the city beaches in Barcelona on the blue Mediterranean Sea. It doesn't get more beautiful than that!

*****

Good food, exercise, sunshine, relaxation, time with loved ones, art and beauty.  Sounds like the basic ingredients for happiness to me.  Now to figure out how to make each day a little bit like a Spanish vacation!

Did you have some time away from your regular routine this summer? If so, what did you love about it that you'd like to integrate into your everyday life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact