Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Book That Changed My Life: Now What? by Laura Berman Fortgang

Nancy Schwartz of the Getting Attention blog, and host of the June Nonprofit Blog Carnival, has asked bloggers to share their "one book" recommendations:
What single book (not blog, not conversation, not Facebook page) has changed your life as a nonprofit staffer, consultant or vendor? 
For me, that book would be Now What? 90 Days to a New Life Direction by Laura Berman Fortgang.  I read about it on Jory Des Jardins' blog, Pause (now, From Here to Autonomy) in early 2005.  I was 35, had worked for the same organization for six years, and was ready to start a new career.

By the time I'd finished Now What?, I'd given notice at my job, decided to start Big Vision Consulting, and was on my way to launching Have Fun, Do Good.  Over the past six years, I've read the book two more times when my career has felt stuck.  I've read it over 90 days, and over a couple weeks.  Whatever felt right at the time.  It has always instigated big changes. 

I've read a LOT of books about finding your path/career/calling/purpose, but it's hard for me to into words why Now What? is so effective. All I can say is that Laura asks the right questions.

A HUGE hat tip and hug to Jory Des Jardins for turning me onto Now What?, and also for being the person who inspired me to start blogging.  She's definitely on my list of people who have changed my life.  Check out two of Jory's posts about Laura's books:
You can learn more about Laura Berman Fortgang's work at www.laurabermanfortgang.com and nowwhatcoaching.com.

What book changed your life?

    Bookmark and Share




    Share

    6 comments:

    1. Thanks Britt, I think I am going to check this out!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Britt, I find it amazing that we've known each other all this time and I wasn't aware that we were both hooked on Laura Berman Fortgang books. Love. Her. She's truly the coach of coaches. This coming from you is truly an endorsement.

      Glad it made an impact.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Well, thank you both!!!
      Laura

      ReplyDelete
    4. Laura N ~ I hope it is as helpful for you as it has been for me.

      Jory ~ I can't believe I never told you how much of an impact that book has had on my life.

      Laura ~ Oh my gosh. I can't believe you're commenting on my blog. I'm starstruck!

      ReplyDelete
    5. That sounds like a great read, I'm gonna check it out on amazon. I love books about how we can change and grow to become better selves.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hi Hanna ~ Let me know what you think of it.

      ReplyDelete

    If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
    http://brittbravo.com/contact