Monday, May 09, 2011

5 Meatless Monday Dinner Ideas

Inspired by Kalyn Denny's new Meatless Monday column on BlogHer, I decided to cook five meatless meals for dinner last week. Meatless Monday is a nonprofit initiative of The Monday Campaigns.  Their goal is to help reduce meat consumption by 15% to improve personal and planetary health.

I thought I'd share what I made in case you'd like some inspiration for your Meatless Monday dinner tonight!

 MONDAY


• Cannellini Beans Braised in Tomato and Herbs

A friend sent me this recipe clipped from a Martha Stewart Magazine in 1991!  I make it all the time.  According to the clipping, it's originally from Verdura: Vegetables Italian Style by Viana La Place.


• Slice of Celebration Roast by Field Roast Grain Meat

Sauteed Asparagus with Aged Gouda Cheese from Martha Stewart Magazine.  I usually just grate a little parm on them, rather than use aged Gouda.

Near East Brown Rice Pilaf


TUESDAY

Rigatoni with Creamy Mushroom Sauce from Giada De Laurentiis's Everyday Italian on the Food Network

• Lettuce with Green Salad Vinaigrette from Barefoot in Paris by Ina Garten (not pictured).

I make this dressing constantly, but don't include the egg yolk.  The version I've linked to on the Food Network is a little different than the one in the book, but I'm sure it's still good. I've never made anything by Ina Garten that wasn't delicious.



WEDNESDAY

Greens with Carrots, Feta Cheese and Brown Rice from Whole Food Market Recipes

• Chickpea Toss from The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer

I make the Chickpea Toss a lot too, but without the olives.  It's a super quick, and yummy side that adds protein to your meal.


THURSDAY

• Spinach Pasta with Edamame Pesto

• Strawberry-Spinach Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

All of these recipes are from Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Super tasty, but it took some time to make.  That said, if you made the vinaigrette and pesto the night before, it would be quick to wash the spinach, and make the pasta when you got home from work.




FRIDAY

Potato, Leek, and Feta Tart from Real Simple recipes

Very tasty.  I like Real Simple recipes 'cause they're quick to make.  This would have gone even faster if I'd remembered to take the store-bought pie crust out of the freezer!

• Sauteed Carrots from Barefoot Contessa Family Style

This is another recipe I make regularly.  Garten's veggie side dish recipes are always simple and delicious.

*********************************

I love trying veggie and vegan recipes, so please share your favorites in the comments.

I'm also going to do a round up later this week of your favorite vegan and veggie cookbooks, so please share those in the comments of, 12 Vegetarian and Vegan Cookbooks. What Are Your Favorites?

Happy cooking!

All photos are taken with my iPhone, and made pretty with Instagram.

Bookmark and Share


Share

3 comments:

  1. So many good ideas, but right now I am fixated on edamame pesto! That must taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kalyn,

    It is tasty.

    If you want to try it, the author put a version of it up on her blog in 2009:

    http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/edamame-pesto-a-totally-satisfying-low-fat-manifesto/

    The difference between the blog version and what is in the cookbook is, in the cookbook:

    1. cilantro is optional
    2. she uses 1/2 t salt in the pesto
    3. She uses 8 oz of spinach linguine or other pasta

    Lemme know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:56 PM

    boo I expect more

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact