Saturday, May 07, 2011

12 Vegetarian and Vegan Cookbooks. What Are Your Favorites?

I love to try new recipes, particularly from vegetarian and vegan cookbooks.  They're like adventures that you kinda know the ending to, but not exactly.  At the moment, I have 12 veggie cookbooks I use a lot, but like any good cookbook-aholic, I want more!

I'd love to hear which vegetarian, or vegan cookbooks are your favorites.  I also pull recipes off of the Food Network, Whole Foods, Real Simple, and VegNews sites, so let me know what your favorite veggie recipe websites and blogs are too.  If I get enough responses, I'll do a round-up post of your recommendations next week.

Here are the 12 vegetarian and vegan cookbooks I use the most.
  1. Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
  2. Debra's Natural Gourmet by Debra Stark
  3. How it All Vegan! by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer
  4. Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home by the Moosewood Collective
  5. The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer
  6. The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone
  7. Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
  8. Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romano
  9. Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romano
  10. Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews by Nava Atlas
  11. Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romano
  12. Vegetarian Soups and Hearty Stews by Nava Atlas
I'm looking forward to hearing about your faves!

Bookmark and Share



Share

9 comments:

  1. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman.
    Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
    SuperNatural Cooking (and now SuperNatural Cooking Everyday by Heidi Swanson.

    This is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian

    http://www.101cookbooks.com/

    http://www.vocalvegan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, definitely Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison, as Rachel said. I also just checked out (and included a recipe on my blog today) from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. It isn't a go-to cookbook for me yet, but I'm thinking some of the recipes might be.

    Love your blog, Britt! (Longtime reader, infrequent commenter.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britt, we like the same cookbook authors!

    I use Isa's Vegan with a Vengeance a lot. I am hoping that she will have a family one day so she will write a cookbook of quick and kid-friendly recipes.

    I also really like the Moosewood Restaurant's Simple Suppers cookbook.

    And Nava Atlas's Vegan Express.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your recommendations, Rachel, Beth Melissa, and Wendy!

    Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian have been coming up a lot on Facebook and Twitter too. I'll have to check them out.

    Melissa ~ I have Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker too. I haven't found many recipes from it yet that I **love**, but I have made the Ready and Waiting Bean and Vegetable Ragout (p. 72) more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and Melissa, thank you sooooo much for being a longtime reader. That warms my heart (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:20 PM

    I would add:

    -La Dolce Vegan (Sarah Kramer)
    -Vegan a Go-Go (Sarah Kramer)
    -Viva Vegan (Terry Romero)
    -Vegan Yum Yum (Lauren Ulm)

    I probably use "Vegan a Go-Go" the most, because the recipes use very few ingredients. I also really enjoy "Appetite for Reduction". Great books. Great list!

    -Regina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Regina ~

    I have Viva Vegan. Everything I've made from it has been crazy delicious, but the recipes take such a loooong time to make. Which are your favorites, that don't take too long to make?

    I also have Vegan Yum Yum and La Dolce Vegan (yes, I am a cookbookaholic), but haven't made anything I loved from them yet. I would love your recommendations.

    I do NOT have Vegan a Go-Go. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Garden of Vegan (same authors of How It All Vegan)
    Moosewood's Lowfat Recipes AND Moosewood's Daily Specials (all soups and salads)

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact