Friday, July 28, 2006

Could Blogher Be Green Next Year?

I met lots of great folks tonight at the evening cocktail party, but as I saw tons of trash being thrown away, and lots of meat being served, I couldn't help asking myself, could BlogHer be green next year?

Julia Butterfly Hill's nonprofit, Circle of Life, has a Greening Event Guide available for free to event planners.

The Craigslist Foundation Nonprofit Boot Camp was a zero waste event last year. According to their site, they was able, "to divert more than 2,000 pounds of garbage."

Couldn't BlogHer be zero waste, too?

Um, and I'd love some more vegetables--organic would be fab--and fair trade coffee--and more vegetarian options (even though I'm not a vegetarian).

And a social change component. Like participating in a Blogathon, or BloggersChoose, or a fundraiser like Chez Pim's A Menu for Hope.

Margaret Mead said, ""A small group of thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." 700 women is a pretty BIG group if you ask me. Think what a difference we could make.



2 comments:

  1. I hope something can be done. Last year at least the water was in glasses, this year it's plastic cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:52 AM

    Mir here,

    I couldn't agree more, I think the final straw for me was when they were throwing away the yahoo-tini glasses on saturday night. I realize there's a high breakage factor involved in using stemware at +500 person events (I used to dishwash professionally, stemware is the devil to clean) but still, there has to be a way to look glamourous and not gluttonous right?

    Thanks for you awesome job posting. btw.

    mir

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact